joi, 31 ianuarie 2013

People and places: Life and wild life


Seven days already in California and I can say here is life and wild life.
Seven days, driving on the cost of California from L.A. towards San Francisco with two days in Yosemite Park…
I did not write anything until now because I was hoping to understand more of the life here and change my feelings... Los Angeles immediately after Fiji was feeling like a slap in the face. Yes, here are clean hotels like I know them from Europe, yes, there is wi-fi everywhere, civilization…restaurants and expensive shops…but no humanity. Seven days in US and I did not talk to anybody then the hotel clerks, waiters or shop sellers. It is very strange though. They are all very polite and smiling. In every store one enters is welcomed with « How are you doing? » which is quite annoying…in case you are not doing well ;)
I have no story about anybody I met here, but I know there is life and wild life in California.
It is the life of humans and the life of wild animals, which are really wild, and that one can admire. Since we are here we have seen: seals, elephant seals, sea lions, sea otters, two different kinds of squirrels, condors, hawks, dolphins, pelicans, ducks and a lot of other birds I do not know the name. This is amazing here and I have never seen anywhere else until now so much wild life one can simply observe (without being in a Zoo). I felt really small in the middle of all the mightily nature in Yosemite Park and thankful I did not see the bear J.
But there is another type of wild life in California: all the homeless people that are everywhere: in the streets, in the stores, in front of the churches, in the parks etc. There are young or old, men or women…there is a huge number of them everywhere. I have even seen a small report of about 7 minutes at the main news about homeless people, entire families living in the sewers of L.A. It is because of them I did not write until now. I did not know how to write that in spite of the beautifulness of the wild nature o this part of US there is always a certain sadness filling the air… and the difference between the rich people, luxurious houses and places and the site of these homeless people is huge and extremely obvious. Only a blind could ignore it. During my life I never saw such a number of homeless people in any country of Europe, including in my own where those having my age remember the streets of Bucharest after the 90s.  I do not know why they are in this situation…I can only observe that between people with a 9 to 5 job, near reach people wearing on them more the ten thousands dollars, near all the wonderful things of California are living them: a special category of people, some having still a human look, some just deteriorating and having an empty gaze in their eyes.
More the society is “civilized”, more we are independent, “free”, less we care about the others…and still I haven’t been to Africa or India…Overall in Fiji probably were more poor people but the fact that there were living in families, villages, clans, the poorness was not so obvious because there were living a community. The lost souls of California are alone.
Seems that California (and I say California because I do not want to generalise to all US) is full of contrasts. So, yes, California is great, I have seen on one hand wonderful things but on the other hand also other kind of things showing or just confirming me that nature is better then what we call humanity…or that somehow humanity can act unnatural. 

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu